[Fwd: Ongoing GMP developments]

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Sat Nov 13 22:07:15 CET 2010

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:19:50AM +0100, bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it wrote:
> Dear Steve M. Robbins,
>
> I'm Marco Bodrato, a Debian user and a contributor to the GMP project.
>
> I follow the gmp-devel mailing list, and I think you may be interested in
> the discussion Torbjorn started yesterday (an extract of his e-mail
> follows).

  [...removing mpbsd functions...]

Thanks for alerting me of this topic.  I do follow gmp-discuss, but
not gmp-devel.

> As far as I can understand, in experimental (I'm not using it) you decided
> to split the mpBSD-compatible function in an independent package. Are
> there packages depending on it? How would the removal of this functions
> impact on Debian?

The reason I split the mpbsd functions into their own package is that the
packages encode the library SOVERSION and gmp changed to SOVERSION 10
while mpbsd did not.

There are no packages depending on mpbsd in Debian experimental.

That's not to say that there are no packages in "stable" or "unstable"
using mpbsd contained in Debian's libgmp3 package (in v 4.3 they have
the same SOVERSION as the gmp libs).  However, I expect that Debian
reflects the larger free software world, so if the developers feel it
has been unused for years, I'd expect the same in Debian.

Cheers,
-Steve