errors while rmpbuilding gmp

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Wed Jul 9 21:55:05 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:14:40PM +0200, Gregory Machin wrote:
> Hi
> I'm trying to compile gmp on and getting the following errors
>
> make[3]: *** [t-cast] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving dirctory '/home/builder/rpm/BUILD/gmp-4.1.4/base/test/cxx'
> make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving dirctory '/home/builder/rpm/BUILD/gmp-4.1.4/base/test/cxx'
> make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving dirctory '/home/builder/rpm/BUILD/gmp-4.1.4/base/test'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> error:  Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.19530 (%check)

 Those messages are just the nested makes propagating the error out to
the top-level make.  Fortunately you included a screenshot of error
messages going back far enough to be somewhat useful.  They show that
libgmpxx.so didn't exist.  Maybe it didn't get built?

 Sorry, I'm not really a gmp expert, but I hope I can point you in the
direction of where to look for problems.

> RPM build errors:
>   Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.19530 (%check)

 So the build worked, but the make check failed?  Maybe the build
decided not to build the c++ library, but didn't tell make check not
to run the checks that depend on it?

> I have attached an image of the VMWare screen with futher out put ..
>
> Any ideas on this would be grate ... Would the fact that it's being
> complied in a virtual machine be a problem. ?

 Not directly, but if you're like me, you might have a pretty
minimal install inside your VM.  Maybe without g++, or without
libstdc++-dev (or whatever redhat calls the packages necessary to
support C++ development)?

 I think most virtual machines have working CPUID instructions, which
is all I can imagine libgmp's build process looking at.  (or maybe
/proc/cpuinfo).  But I can't imagine how that would influence it's
decision to build the c++ version of libgmp, just what hand-coded asm
routines it chooses.

 happy hacking,

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)