sparc64 for GNU/Linux

Kevin Ryde user42 at zip.com.au
Thu Oct 23 08:08:58 CEST 2003

ja2morri at csclub.uwaterloo.ca (James Morrison) writes:

>   A 64 bit userland is now supported in GNU/Linux and will be available in
> the next Debian stable release.  Anyway, to get gmp to build for sparc64
> on GNU/Linux I needed the following patch.

Is 64-bit user going to be the only option on that system?  (Point us
to some transition notes or something if that exists.)

In the past we've built 32-bits on such systems of course.  If it's
possible to build that then we probably want to keep it for upward
compatibility.  Whether it's the default or not is another matter.  We
tend to follow the compiler or system default when in doubt.

Is there a good way to detect an older sparcv9 debian, where we will
presumably still need to go with 32-bits?  I guess sizeof(long)==8 for
a start will be new.