New GMP release

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Fri Jan 27 15:36:44 CET 2012

A new release of the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library (GMP)
is now available.  The new release is identified as 5.0.3.

The new release can be downloaded from the main GNU ftp site:
  xz format:    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-5.0.3.tar.xz
  bzip2 format: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-5.0.3.tar.bz2

These files can also be found from the main GMP domain, e.g.
ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/gmp/gmp-5.0.3.tar.xz.

The changes between this release and the previous release are limited
to various safe bug fixes and portability improvements.

GMP 5.0 is the currently maintained stable release series; we
recommend everyone to switch from earlier GMP releases to GMP 5.0.3.

While GMP bugs do happen, the absolutely most common cause for
incorrect computations with GMP is bugs in the compiler used for
building he library.  It cannot be said enough times: Please run "make
check" after you've built GMP.  And if "make check" stops with an
error, do not use the compiled library.  When this happens, you've
almost surely run into a compiler bug, not a library bug, since we've
of course made sure the library passes its own test suite.  The first
thing to try at this point is using a different compiler.  See also
http://gmplib.org/.  GCC version 4.3.2 is known to miscompile this GMP
release on all 64-bit platforms; this manifests itself at a check
failure in tests/mpz/t-root.c.

The GMP 5.0 release series would not have been possible without the
very devoted work of Niels Möller and Marco Bodrato.  Torbjörn
Granlund coordinated the development and release, and did a fair
amount of development work himself.  Marc Glisse helped with the C++
wrapper.

Changes between GMP version 5.0.2 and 5.0.3

  BUGS FIXED
  * A few minor bugs related to portability fixed.

  * A slight timing leak of the powm_sec functions have been sealed.  (This
    leak could possibly be used to extract the most significant few bits of the
    exponent.  "Few" here means at most 10.)

  * The mpz_nextprime function now runs a safer number of pseudo-random prime
    tests.

  * A bug in division code possibly causing incorrect computation was fixed.

  SPEEDUPS
  * None, except indirectly through recognition of new CPUs, and through better
    tuning parameters.

  FEATURES
  * New CPUs recognised.

  * IBM S/390 are now supported in both 31/32-bit and 64-bit mode.  (We have
    not been able to fully test this on any multilib machine, since IBM expired
    our guest account a few days before our release.)

  MISC
  * None.

There is a public repository for GMP, please see the GMP web site at
http://gmplib.org/ for more information.

Torbjörn's work on GMP is sponsored by "Stiftelsen för Strategisk
Forskning", through CIAM at KTH, http://www.ciam.kth.se/.