GMP 5.1 test release
tg at gmplib.org
Sat Dec 8 14:34:38 CET 2012
Please try the GMP 5.1 test release:
Reports to gmp-bugs at gmplib.org please. Do not follow up to the
gmp-announce list, we promise subscribers to have only announcements
The following list is from NEWS.
Most of the work on GMP 5.1 was done by Niels Möller, Marco Bodrato, and
Changes between GMP version 5.0.* and 5.1.0
* When reading a C++ number (like mpz_class) in an istream reaches the end
of the stream, the eofbit is now set.
* Contains all fixes from release 5.0.5.
* The n-factorial and n-over-k functions have been reimplemented for great
speedups for small and large operands.
* New subquadratic algorithm for the Kronecker/Jacobi/Legendre symbol.
* Major speedup for ARM, in particular ARM Cortex-A9, thanks to broad
* Significant speedup or POWER6 and POWER7 thanks to improved assembly.
* The performance under M$ Windows' 64-bit ABI has been greatly improved
thanks to complete assembly support.
* Minor speed improvements of many functions and for many platforms.
* New functions for multi-factorials, and primorial: mpz_2fac_ui,
mpz_mfac_uiui and mpz_primorial_ui.
* The mpz_powm_sec function now uses side-channel silent division for
converting into Montgomery residues.
* The fat binary mechanism is now more robust in its CPU recognition.
* Inclusion of assembly code is now controlled by the configure options
--enable-assembly and --disable-assembly. The "none" CPU targets is gone.
* In C++, the conversions mpq_class->mpz_class, mpf_class->mpz_class and
mpf_class->mpq_class are now explicit.
* Includes "mini-gmp", a small, portable, but less efficient, implementation
of a subset of GMP's mpn and mpz interfaces. Used in GMP bootstrap, but it
can also be bundled with applications as a fallback when the real GMP
library is unavailable.
* The ABIs under AIX are no longer called aix32 and aix64, but mode64 and 32.
This is more consistent with other powerpc systems.
* The coverage of the testsuite has been improved, using the lcov tool. See
More information about the gmp-announce