Trying to compile GMP - MPZ part for Symbian OS

Marian Kechlibar marian.kechlibar at circletech.net
Tue May 27 18:46:58 CEST 2008

> [This discussion should move to gmp-discuss, since it is not about any
> bug in GMP.]

Doing this right now.

Torbjorn Granlund napsal(a):
> Marian Kechlibar <marian.kechlibar at circletech.net> writes:
>
>   Anyway, if this port is to be useful for other Symbian developers,
>   it will have to work under Windows, since this is the standard in
>   the community. I think that the best way would be to have a specific
>   header file (config.h, gmp-impl.h) for Symbian, and use generic
>   sources for WINSCW emulation environment, and possibly use ARM for
>   the device build. I think I could be able to supply you with
>   information on the Symbian specifics, and a manageable MMP file.
>
> I will not put something like that into a GMP distribution, sorry.
> It is not vialbel to maintain such separate files.
>
> But by all means make it available from your site, with versions for
> each GMP release.

I will try. I am however not sure whether I can:
    a) follow every GMP release. Maybe my update frequency will be lower.
    b) port all functionality. I will appreciate any help here. Too
early to determine now.
    c) make a thorough test of correctness of the modified GMP. Any
suggestions on how to
        thoroughly check correctness of operations are appreciated.

>   In the meantime, I managed to compile and link the library with the
>   flag you mentioned. For Symbian 9, that was enough. For Symbian 8
>   and earlier, I had to remove several static writable data (Symbian 8
>   and earlier will not tolerate static writable data in DLLs). These
>   usually were global variables; I made them const, which killed some
>   functionality (like mpz_random). I did not have time to test the
>   functionality in the emulator, or a real device, yet. I believe I
>   can do it tomorrow.
>
> Good luck.

It will be needed :-)

Marian