Inadvertent License Violation

Paul Schnapp paul.schnapp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 20:57:56 CET 2024

Greetings,

Today I discovered myself in the unfortunate position of having
inadvertently violated the LGPL license of the GMP library:

My project, osabe [1][2], is an open-source WAV editor released under the
BSD3 license. Current and older release versions of it depend transitively
upon the integer-gmp Haskell library [3], which in turn depends on the GMP
library. (Also apparently GHC statically links to the GMP library for
binaries on Windows unless told to do otherwise [4], which I was not aware
of until today.)

The license violation comes (I believe mostly*) from the fact that the GMP
licensing information was not included in the distribution of the
application along with all the other licenses for the other libraries I'm
depending upon, directly or transitively -- including the integer-gmp
library. I did my best to include all the requisite licensing information,
but I missed the one for GMP because I didn't see it was depended upon by
integer-gmp.

To remedy this I'm currently preparing a build that does not use the
integer-gmp library (the transitive dependencies have changed) and will
compile the Windows version with a reconfigured GHC to avoid statically
linking to the GMP library in the Windows binary.

I am prepared to remove the older versions of the application from the
consumer site and post a formal apology there for the omission; please let
me know if there is anything else you think I should do.

Sincerely,

Paul

* I also didn't link to the source code for my application from the
application itself, as I think the LGPL license might stipulate, but I did
link to it from the consumer website; it's unclear to me whether this is in
compliance or not.

[1]: osabe consumer website: https://osabe.app/
[2]: osabe code repository: https://bitbucket.org/osabe-app/code/
[3]: integer-gmp library on Hackage:
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/integer-gmp
[4]: Haskell Stack FAQ item on GMP linking:
https://docs.haskellstack.org/en/stable/faq/#what-is-licensing-restrictions-on-windows