GMP servers are under DoS attack from Microsoft

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Fri Jun 16 16:46:00 CEST 2023

The GMP servers are under attack by several hundred IP addresses owned
by Microsoft cooperation. We do not know if this is made with malice by
Microsoft, if it is some sort of mistake, or if some of their cloud
customer is running the attack. The attack targets the GMP repo, with
thousands of identical requests.  The requests are cleverly chosen as to
cause heavy system load.

We're firewalling off all of Microsoft's IP addresses as an emergency
response.

The GMP repositories are intermittently slow to access, but we expect to
resume normal operation once we have identified all Microsoft's IP
ranges.

If some Microsoft employee with enough clout reads this, please notice
that we *completely* block Microsoft now as that is the fastest remedy.
That means that email will likely not reach us.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622