Introducing POSIX-friendly type names

John Scott jscott at posteo.net
Mon May 30 09:35:47 CEST 2022

Hi,

GMP currently defines implementation-reserved identifiers all over the
place, which is technically undefined behavior (this is how feature test
macros like _POSIX_C_SOURCE work). In practice, this doesn't appear to
hinder portability, but I'd like to focus on the number one way this
affects applications: the type names.

POSIX states that any system header is allowed to introduce a type
ending in '_t', and as such GMP defining type names ending in '_t' can
lead to name clashes. I wonder if, to accommodate application developers
who want to write conforming POSIX applications, if GMP could introduce
new type names without the _t suffix, perhaps by introducing new type
names with the _t removed?

Thanks for your consideration.