could not find a working compiler (gmp 6.2.1)

S newcontact at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 06:31:45 CEST 2022

I just updated the OS (linux mint 21) on four machines, and then
installed gmp 6.2.1 on each machine using the same tar file.  The
installation was successful on three of the four machines, but failed on
the last one because ./configure "could not find a working compiler"
even though gcc is present.  I also tried  ./configure
CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc to no avail.  I have sent along the config.log
file.  Your help is most appreciative.  THANKS!

(in case this matter: Previously I installed gmp 6.1.2 on all four
machines before I updated the OS.  I also tried to install 6.1.2 on this
last machine but I got the same error.  The four machines are not
identical.)