Implement a logical shift for mpz_t

Jan Claußen jan.claussen10 at web.de
Sat May 8 10:51:47 UTC 2021

I know that GMP is mainly designed for doing arithmetic operations and that carrying bits over multiple limbs is not going to be efficient. For me it just serves as means to quickly try out a theory that I would later implement in a more efficient way.

I was just looking for universal shift functions and the ones proposed do the trick. The reason for my email was the proposition of an official implementation that you can find either searching for shift in the PDF documentation and adding it to the suggested category. You could also add a note that GMP wasn’t designed for this. So everyone would know what to expect.

I think it is a very interesting library, but think that the documentation is too lean. It would be nice to have examples for every function as the e.g. the Microsoft C++ port of GMP has in its documentation. (Couldn’t find the link just now.)

Maybe also link this tutorial. Just stumbled over it
https://home.cs.colorado.edu/~srirams/courses/csci2824-spr14/gmpTutorial.html

I was searching for a way to bit shift for hours. Just saying.