GMP rust swap disks

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sat Mar 20 19:29:08 UTC 2021

On 3/18/21 11:31 AM, Chuck Pergiel wrote:
> On the web page Computing billions of π digits using GMP
> <https://gmplib.org/pi-with-gmp>
> I found this line:
>
> "One needs around 250 top-capacity rust swap disks in order to compute 1
> quadrillion digits,"
>
> I know what a 'swap disk' is, and I suspect 'rust' refers to a programming
> language, but I do not understand the connection. Why 'rust swap disks' as
> opposed to just 'swap disks'?

I have Seagate disks that have been spinning for over a decade and in
ZFS mirror sets and they never fail me. I trust them far more than even
the best Samsung SSD products. Off topic I know but I am easily annoyed
by people that say "spinning rust".  Perhaps the SSD should be called
something like "seized bit rot".

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC

Sent from my CPM powered TRS-80 via Hayes Smartmodem.