hash of mpz_t and mpq_t

Mathieu Dutour mathieu.dutour at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:37:57 UTC 2021

Thank you all for your valuable feedback
on this matter.

I can see the point that there are many
possibilities for the hash function and this
is surely a good reason for not providing
one.

The argument I can put forward against
this choice are:
--- Such algorithmic criticism likely applies
to many parts of the code. Though here it
is only a user facing functionality.
--- It is probably better for GMP to provide
its own hash function that would avoid many
potential problems of user defined functions
and their associated debugging and reinventions.
--- The functionality can be defined relatively easily:
size_t mpz_hash(mpz_t inp, size_t seed);

Thank you all for your contribution to GMP and
the discussion.

  Mathieu