My gmp experience with AWS; Searching; libgmp.a

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Fri Apr 16 12:28:04 UTC 2021

EvaOrLew Baxter <lewandeva at hotmail.com> writes:

    1.  I tried both C4 and C5a Instance Types and did a simple
  benchmark of one calculation which is representative of my
  application: x^y mod z with 30000 digits. C4 took 131 seconds and
  costs $0.398/hour, so 1 calculation costs 1.45 cents. C5a takes 88 sec
  with cost of $0.308/hour, so 1 calculation costs 0.93 cents.  So, C5a
  is about 36% faster than C4. (I installed gmp using: 'sudo apt install
  libgmp3-dev'.)

I don't think most readers here know what C4 or C5a is.  Could you
perhaps spell it out?

You should really build your own GMP for a likely great speedup.

    2.  Is there a simple way to search gmp-disuss for a topic, or do I
  have to download each archive and do my own text search?

Please use your favourite search engine.

    3.  Can the gmp program determine (eg by a flag, or gmp constant)
  what version of libgmp.a is being used: the architecture specific one,
  or the generic one?

Only the version number is available.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622