Recommend AWS EC2 instance for running GMP program

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Tue Apr 13 21:24:14 UTC 2021

EvaOrLew Baxter <lewandeva at hotmail.com> writes:

  My general question is: Which EC2 instances can I use, and what is the best?

I expect GMP to recognise all x86 processors there.  And they all seem
new enough to give decent GMP performance.

I am not sure about the "Graviton" Arm processors.  I am sure GMP
doesn't know about those, meaning that performance might suffer.

You might want to take a look at https://gmplib.org/gmpbench for some
idea on the relative performance of various CPUs.

Note that the Intel performance results there are crossed out due to the
countless side-channel bugs which has been revealed in the last few
years; I have not had the time to add all necessary firmware updates or
kernel workarounds to make these systems safe, and then rerun GMPbench.
The few fixes applied in the beginning of this mayhem indicated major
speed drops.  Therefore, we crossed over the results as they are no
longer valid with a patched Intel system.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622