[rnhmjoj at inventati.org: Re: Contributing to GMP]

Michele Guerini Rocco rnhmjoj at inventati.org
Thu Feb 20 10:24:44 UTC 2020

I forgot to add a CC. I'm not used to mailing lists, sorry.

----- Forwarded message from Michele Guerini Rocco <rnhmjoj at inventati.org> -----

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 00:07:06 +0100
From: Michele Guerini Rocco <rnhmjoj at inventati.org>
To: Anders Andersson <pipatron at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Contributing to GMP

Well, you right, log(N) is mostly surely not going to be a rational:
I used fractions because I was already using them to represent
(exact) rationals in other parts of the program. In fact the precision
of the computation is controlled by the number of decimal places, so it
makes more sense to use floating points.
I guess I could rewrite the function to use floats and the algorithm
should still work; I have not used mpf before, though.
Anyway, here's the description of `mpq_log_ui``

    /* `mpq_log_ui(z, x, D)`
     * calculates the logarithm of x up
     * to D decimal places using the formula
     *
     *   log(x) = log(a(x) * 2^(n-1))
     *          = log(a) + (n-1) log(2)
     *
     * where 1<a<2 and n is the number of binary
     * digits of x.
     *
     * log(a) is the computed from
     *
     *   log((1+y)/(1-y)) = 2Σ_{k=0} y^(2k+1)/(2k+1)
     *
     * where y = (a-1)/(a+1).
     *
     * The error of the n-th partial sum is
     * estimated as:
     *
     *   Δ(n, y) = 4y^(2n + 3) /
     *        (4n^2y^4 - 8n^2y^2 + 4n^2 + 4ny^4 - 12ny^2 + 8n + y^4 - 4y^2 + 3)
     *
     * So to fix the first D decimal places
     * we evaluate up to n terms such that
     *