Performance of modular exponentiation

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Mon Dec 7 20:09:24 UTC 2020

Ivo maffei <ivomaffei at gmail.com> writes:

  I’m a DPhil student at the university of Oxford and I’m looking at
  parallelising modular exponentiation (mpz_powm).  I’m using the GMP
  6.2.1 release for C and it is really fast. Could someone explain me
  how GMP achieves this performance?  If anyone has a somewhat detailed
  documentation of the code, that would also be very useful as the
  source code is quite convoluted.

There is an algorithms chapter in the manual.  The text about modular
exponentiation is terse, but accurate.

A modern source of arithmetic algorithms knowledge is Modern Computer
Arithmetic By Brent and Zimmermann.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622