A question about GMP

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Tue Oct 22 12:05:21 UTC 2019

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019, Ivan Christov wrote:

> Do you know whether GMP library is vectorised?
>
> I want to utilize both SIMD level and thread level of parallelism with
> the INTEL(R) Knights Landing Processors.

Hello,

the question in unclear in that vectorization can be used in 2 ways (in
both cases the answer will be "no" though). You can use vector
instructions to speed up the operations on a single big number. In
particular I see some people playing with AVX512-IFMA. Or you can use
vector instructions to operate on several numbers at the same time. The
second option is usually more efficient, but its use is much more
constrained, you need to have several numbers of the same size on which
you want to perform the same operation at the same time.

--
Marc Glisse