Saving a significant multiplication in odd order Toom-Cook negacyclic convolution

Brian Quach bqruiaacnh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 05:09:09 UTC 2019

Shorter and more general:
When 2 is not the only divisor of N, x^N + 1 can be factorised into coprime
polynomials over the small integers. Toom-Cook multiplication can then be
applied to find polynomial products modulo these factors. The resulting
required number of 'pointwise multiplications' is 2N minus the number of
these factors. This frequently allows saving major multiplications in
negacyclic convolutions done using Toom-Cook for multiplication modulo
Fermat numbers, without the multiplication overhead associated with FFT.