Licensing

Mike Lodder mike at sovrin.org
Thu Sep 27 14:14:12 UTC 2018

The Apache 2.0 license has patent termination and indemnification
provisions that GPL or LGPL do not have.
We initially do not plan to modify the GMP code, just to include it in our
code. The problem with LGPL is not that I link to it dynamically, but when
I must link statically, which is what happens when developing for mobile
market. Apple requires all libraries by statically linked.

We eventually want to contribute to GMP and give code back and not retain
changes. We have no problem with that.
We hope our crypto code will be widely adopted. The crypto code we write is
not symmetric ciphers or public key crypto, its zero-knowledge proofs,
pairings based crypto, zkSNARKs and eventually STARKS.

Everything at Hyperledger is licensed under Apache 2.0 and that's the main
reason for the petition for a license change.

--
Mike Lodder
Security Maven