Licensing

Mike Lodder mike at sovrin.org
Fri Sep 21 16:19:27 UTC 2018

Hello GMP authors,

This issue has probably been discussed in the past so forgive my ignorance.
I write a lot of code that falls under Hyperledger at Linux Foundation
umbrella that is consumed by various companies. Much of the code we write
uses the Apache 2.0 License.

I write crypto code that uses big number libraries and would like to adopt
GMP but cannot because it was GPL and is now LGPL. While LGPL is less of a
problem, its limits adoption for what we want to use it for.

We are looking to use Libsnark <https://github.com/scipr-lab/libsnark> for
zero-knowledge proofs. Libsnark uses GMP. Libsnark is licensed under MIT.

Would you consider also licensing GMP using Apache 2.0?
Here is a link
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z_8o8k_PFRM4XfZyv9jH1_-IyN0CsCMI2JlrGsCX378/edit>
to a project that we want to use GMP with. I believe with this license
change that adoption of GMP will be even greater. We are not looking to
steal or screw over the GMP project authors. Its the Linux Foundation. Our
projects would include the necessary licenses and headers in our code and
give credit where its due. I believe greater opportunities exist with this
license change.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your consideration.

--
Mike Lodder
Security Maven