mpz_probab_prime_p reproducibility

Pierre Chatelier pierre at chachatelier.fr
Wed Nov 16 07:49:19 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have checked the source code, and so the answer (in GMP 6.1.1) about reproducibility is no. The miller rabbin tests are done under a gmp_randstate_t, and there is no seed deterministicallly hashed from the number n to test.

I also noticed that the algorithm does not use the "known best subset of <a> to test", as can be found in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Rabin_primality_test
For instance, every number under 3,317,044,064,679,887,385,961,981 only need 13 reps : 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, and 41.
This could be implemented in gmp. (The main problem is perhaps to decide, if the user asks for less than 13 reps in mpz_probab_prime_p, if gmp should discard the reps limit set by the user to check at least those known 13 reps).

Regards,

Pierre Chatelier