primorial(negative)

Marco Bodrato bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it
Fri Nov 13 17:27:42 UTC 2015

Ciao Paul,

Il Ven, 13 Novembre 2015 2:03 pm, paul zimmermann ha scritto:
> I agree there are several questions to answer, I did only answer your
> question "Suggestions for the interface?"...

Right :-)

Then I'll ask you something about your suggestions.

Why do you suggest the mpz_ prefix?
In your interface I see a single way to set a starting point:
"mpz_prime_init_ui (p, 17); /* initializes p to 17 */" ; and it takes an
ui.
It will be hard to reach the mpz range starting from an ui...
If we do not reach the mpz range, handling "unsigned long"s or
"mp_limb_t"s will be much faster!

You are proposing to focus on primes, completely hiding the sieving
ranges, right?
Then, what's the meaning of the _ui given with the _init command?

Do you suggest to only allow sequential (and increasing-only) access to
the "list" of primes?

Best regards,

http://bodrato.it/