Compiling gmp-6.0.0 for gcc-arm-none-eabi

Steve Dierker dierker.steve at fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 22 13:38:51 UTC 2015

Hello list,

I want to use gmp for a mikro controller project running on an STM32F4.
Currently I build my project on a Debian Jessie machine with
arm-none-eabi- v.4.8.
I read the documentation of gmp and as far as I understood it, I have
to cross compile the library first and then include the header and the
static library into my project.
So first I did:

./configure --host=arm-none-eabi

But it fails with:

checking if globals are prefixed by underscore... /usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-nm: conftest.o: File format not recognized
unknown
configure: WARNING: +----------------------------------------------------------
configure: WARNING: | Cannot determine global symbol prefix.
configure: WARNING: | /usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-nm -B output doesn't contain a global data symbol.
configure: WARNING: | Will proceed with no underscore.
configure: WARNING: | If this is wrong then you'll get link errors referring
configure: WARNING: | to ___gmpn_add_n (note three underscores).
configure: WARNING: | In this case do a fresh build with an override,
configure: WARNING: |     ./configure gmp_cv_asm_underscore=yes
configure: WARNING: +----------------------------------------------------------
checking how to switch to read-only data section... 	.section	.rodata
checking for assembler .type directive... .type	$1,@$2
checking for assembler .size directive... .size	$1,$2
checking for assembler local label prefix... configure: WARNING: "/usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-nm -B" failure
configure: WARNING: cannot determine local label, using default L
checking for assembler byte directive... .byte
checking how to define a 32-bit word... /usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-nm: conftest.o: File format not recognized
/usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-nm: conftest.o: File format not recognized
configure: error: cannot determine how to define a 32-bit word

I also attached the complete log. Can you help me to figure what I did
wrong?

best,
Steve

XMPP: bigzed at jabber.ccc.de