Floor function for rationals available?

Moritz Schmitt moritz at schmi.tt
Mon Jun 22 12:17:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 01:41:37PM +0200, Torbjörn Granlund wrote:

>   I am using GMP with C, and I am looking for a floor function for rationals,
>   i.e., something like mpq_floor(). However, I can't seem to find it.
>
> You need mpz_set_q.  If you then need to get this mpz type as an
> (intergral) mpq, you need to assign it back (possibly using the
> low-level functions operating on the numerator).

Thanks for the hint.

In the GMP documentation I found the entry

	— Function: void mpz_set (mpz_t rop, const mpz_t op)
	— Function: void mpz_set_ui (mpz_t rop, unsigned long int op)
	— Function: void mpz_set_si (mpz_t rop, signed long int op)
	— Function: void mpz_set_d (mpz_t rop, double op)
	— Function: void mpz_set_q (mpz_t rop, const mpq_t op)
	— Function: void mpz_set_f (mpz_t rop, const mpf_t op)
	Set the value of rop from op.

	mpz_set_d, mpz_set_q and mpz_set_f truncate op to make it an integer.

Since 'truncate' is not defined let me ask just to be very sure: mpz_set_q just
cuts of whatever comes after the comma, right? In particular, it is not the
floor function. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,
Moritz