How store libGMP bigint&-ratnum:s within a parent Garbage Collected environment with movable objects so that libGMP values must be absent of any absolute pointers whatsoever?

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Sat Feb 28 11:52:34 UTC 2015

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015, Tinker wrote:

> I have a GC:ed heap wherein I want to store my libGMP bigint&-ratnum:s. This
> means that I provide the memory allocator, and also it means that libGMP must
> store one bigint/bigratnum as one single solid byte array only, i.e. one such
> value cannot be split up in more memory allocations, because between libGMP
> calls my GC changes memory location of heap objects frequently, and therefore
> the values may utilize no absolute memory pointers.

Your email is not very clear. How do you reference your array, if not
through a pointer? Or does your GC go through memory and change all the
pointers when it moves an array? Note that GMP already stores integers
in a continuous memory block (a rational is a pair of integers).

Using mp_set_memory_functions and the mpn layer should be safe, but
without more info I have no idea if you could use mpz/mpq.

--
Marc Glisse