On being welcoming

Mike Mohr akihana at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 17:21:23 UTC 2015

(Replies inline.)

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Torbjörn Granlund <tg at gmplib.org> wrote:

> [To gmp-discuss readers: This started at gmp-bugs, first as a couple of
> reports about assumed GMP bugs, then with the subject used here.]
>
> ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>   I think it is crucially important that you as a community recognize that
>   this behavior is not acceptable.  There’s nothing personal in doing
>   that; it’s the behavior that we should condemn, not the person.
>
> Let's not exaggerate; sending sloppy bug reports might be considered as
> disrespectful, but I wouldn't go so far as calling "this behavior"
> "unacceptable".  We're making a mistake if we assume malice when we read
> something we do not like.

To an outsider, who is perhaps unfamiliar with common software development
practices, sloppy bug reports are easy mistakes to make.  I doubt that the
reporter had any ill intent.

> Mike Mohr <akihana at gmail.com> writes:
>
>   I have seen many examples of this type of conduct from him, both
>   towards myself as well as others.  I am a software engineer who
>   works in Silicon Valley, and I cannot imagine working with someone
>   who is frequently abrasive and disparaging.  Such an individual
>   would not last very long on my team.
>
> We're all humans and I shall not exaggerate my critisism of sloppy bug
> reports, and I shall not sink to making an ad hominem response.
>
> [I'm going back to doing productive work now. I will not respond further
> to this thread, but I respect that others might want to continue, and I
> will read the contributions.  Please use gmp-discuss, the gmp-bugs list
> is for bug reports.]

Torbjörn, I sincerely apologize if my initial response was interpreted as
an ad hominem attack.  It was certainly not intended as such.  I actually
spent a good amount of time weighing whether I should respond at all,
followed by writing and rewriting several parts of the response.  The
initial paragraph, where I mention how valuable your contributions are to
the GMP project, is missing from your inline response.  The second
paragraph seems harsher than I intended when read out of context.

Your response to the original bug report was accurate; there was
insufficient information in it.  I am very aware of how frustrating
incomplete bug reports can be, especially when working on a project for
free in your spare time.  My only intent was to share constructive
criticism regarding how you responded to the reporter.