Suggestions for GMP

remmellabs at juno.com remmellabs at juno.com
Mon Sep 15 16:01:06 UTC 2014

                                 Dr. Ronald S. Remmel
                                 Remmel Labs
                                 1811 Parkfair Ct.
                                 Katy, TX 77450
                                 remmellabs at juno.com
                                 281-578-8117
                                 9/15/14

Dear Torbjorn Granlund and the GMP Development Team:

Thank you very much for making available the GMP functions, which are working great for my calculation of pi.

I would like to suggest adding the common math functions to the GMP library: sin, cos etc.--the buttons on a pocket calculator. These might be needed for special calculations.

Sometimes it is necessary to compute with numbers which exceed the size of available RAM, such as computing pi to many digits. More RAM is very expensive. It would be nice to store some of the numbers on the hard drive(s), i.e., use the disk(s) as virtual memory. Because accessing the disk through the C++ functions and the kernel might be very slow, it might be best to purchase additional disk(s), and to program them directly in assembly language, bypassing the kernel. This can expand the size of numbers by at least 100X.

Let's dream big! How about complex numbers and matrixes!

Very sincerely,  Ron