ARM assembly fails to build for iOS/ARM

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Tue Mar 11 13:58:33 UTC 2014

Sebastian Dröge <slomo at coaxion.net> writes:

> the ARM assembly in version 5.1.3 fails to build for iOS/ARM. The MachO
> assembly does not know anything about .protected (or .hidden
> or .internal for that matter).
>
> Workaround is to build with --disable-assembly but that's of course not
> ideal. 5.0.5 had no ARM assembly for that part of the code and thus
> built fine too.

Is it possible to use GMP on non-rooted iOS devices? It seems
questionable to distribute anything bundled with GMP via Apples's App
Store. See http://michelf.ca/blog/2011/gpl-ios-app-store/ for a summary
of the issues.

Possibly the upcoming dual licensing as LGPLv3+ and GPLv2+ will make it
legal to bundle GMP and an application and distribute the result on the
App store under GPLv2 terms (without the anti-tivoization conditions).
Obviously possible only when (1) the application is under a GPLv2
compatible license, and (2) all GPL conditions are adhered to, including
distributing complete source code for the iOS app.

(I'm not very familiar with iOS, the App Store, and its conditions. If
Apple requires App store customers to agree to some an EULA with
additional restrictions, that rules out any distribution of GMP also
under GPLv2 terms).

PS. I'm not subscribed to gmp-discuss, so please keep me cc:ed.