Unpacking lz, xz or bz2 files

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Wed Mar 5 17:50:09 UTC 2014

Peter Clark <artomishka at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

  I have been given an out of date "idiot's guide" to downloading a file from your site.

  It tells me to download a file called "gmp-5.0.1-tar.gz  and unpack it using "tar xzf gmp-*.tar.gz"

I suspect that file might still be available from the dowload servers.

  I can only find gmp-5.1.3.tar.lz, gmp-5.1.3.tar.xz and gmp-5.1.3.tar.bz2
  none of these get unpacked for me.

You need lzip, xz, and bzip2, respectively for uncompressing those.

  I am trying to set up a COBOL facility under windows,

  Can anyone please help me with an unpacking string for at least one of these files?

I have no idea what an "unpacking string" might be.  Also, I don't know
what compression programs might be available under Windows.  Presumably,
you can purchase something for that purpose, else install GNU/Linux for
free.