A question about mpz_out_str and mpz_out_raw output limitation

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Tue Jun 24 10:53:08 UTC 2014

Nikitin Kirill <kirill.nikitin at epfl.ch> writes:

  I'm currently working with large sets of public-key moduli using
  gmp-6.0.0 for arbitrary precision arithmetic. There is a need to
  multiple all unique primes from moduli together so final number is
  getting huge sometimes (the sets sometimes include about 10 000 000
  moduli).

  I have encountered a problem that mpz_out_raw has a limitation for
  printing numbers to a file, precisely 2^31 bytes (mpz_inp_raw has the
  same accordingly). When numbers are bigger, the output is wrong (maybe
  shrunken). Therefore, I'm wondering if it is possible to remove this
  limitation in some way? and whether mpz_out_str (mpz_inp_str) has the
  same limitation?

The mpz functions will not work for numbers that have more than 2^37
bits (assuming the host uses 64-bit pointers and limbs).

Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622