gmpbench -- how to utilize all CPU cores?

. dcMhOYBdpZkH at web.de
Sun Sep 29 21:08:07 CEST 2013

Thanks for infos.

I'm aware too of the amount of work and well-written code that you give
away for free because you want to, and I appreciate it. If you devs
think that parallelizing GMP-code using pthreads, ... is a proper way of
programming in GMP, then this is good and you don't need to re-write
anything in GMP.
Now at least some simple tutorials on gmplib.org would be good. gmpbench
is good for testing only one core, so sadly I'll have to use my own
simple pthreads benchmark for multi-core benchmarking then (and I can
tell you it doesn't scale linearly, but quite good) :-D

I use GMP but it's not fast enough if un-parallalized on certain
projects (waiting 12 days instead of 1 makes a difference), that is a
given. This has nothing to do with "serious" or "un-serious". Sometimes
just more speed is needed and "time is money" they say sometimes. If GMP
doesn't scale very well then people can't use is on certain projects.

Again, if it can and should be done with pthreads then I'm happy and
I'll shut up :)

Only parallelization will make GMP much faster now. I'll try pthreads
later.

OpenPGP key: https://keyserver2.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0xCDDFDD67A48E0139