Not a bug report, but a possible severe LGPL violation of GMP

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu May 2 18:13:36 CEST 2013

Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> writes:

  On Wednesday 01 May 2013 23:56:50 Trent Creekmore wrote:
  > I heard Mozilla was suing them for naming their product firefox.exe, etc.
  > in order to gain trust of end users to execute their products.

  that's a trademark violation, not copyright violation.  to be clear, using GMP
  in this sort of software isn't a violation by itself, but distributing
  binaries w/out releasing the source is (assuming someone with said binary has
  made a request for the source and been denied/ignored).

There is also the license requirement that the end user is informed
about its right under the (L)GPL.  "We just installed malware on your
computer in order to spy on you and report our findings to your
government.  The malware contains code licensed under the LGPL.  To
obtain relinkable object code for the non-free parts of the malware and
sources for the free parts, please contact Bastards International
Incorporated".

It might be difficult to go after this sort of business.  They surely
are in bed with their "democratic" governments in England and Germany.
I trust that the FSF will do its utmost to prosecute this.  They are
informed about the situation.