new autotools

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Mar 29 05:50:45 CET 2013

On Thursday 28 March 2013 19:52:14 Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2013-03-28 14:23:57 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 March 2013 12:00:28 Frantisek Kluknavsky wrote:
> > > Is there any intention to use newer automake/autoconf with future
> > > releases of gmp? If I am not mistaken, gmp 5.1.1 can not recognize
> > > 64-bit arm. Recent autoconf can already do this.
> >
> > why are you guys going out and bugging every random upstream
> > maintainer ? why isn't your package manager automatically updating
> > config.{sub,guess} in place ?
>
> FYI, not everyone uses a package manager. Tarballs should be designed
> to work on their own.

i didn't say otherwise.  these packages will automatically get updated as the
developers update their build tools and make new releases.  but putting out a
new release purely for updating these two files is asinine.

if you're actively working on the bleeding edge (and it currently doesn't get
much more bleeding than aarch64 as there isn't any actual hardware yet), then
you know what you're doing, and you don't need every random upstream package
maintainer to regenerate their files, nor can you even do so (as there are many
many dormant/dead upstreams out there).
-mike