Tonelli-Shanks algorithm

Ramón T. B. framontb at yahoo.es
Mon Apr 22 16:39:46 CEST 2013

Taking advantage of the beautiful implementation of the Tonelli-Shanks algorithm made by David (modular_sqrt), I have adapted an implementation for calculating the modular square root of a composite number, that I took from M. Welschenbach. Working with a composite number 'n'  that factorize in a simple way of two primes: n = p * q
With this function (I call it 'modular_sqrt_pq' in accordance with David suggestion) it is easy to implement a simple-raw version of the Rabin encryption.
I'm sure it can be improved. Please let me know any suggestions.

Regards: framontb

// find x^2 = a mod p*q
// return
// 0 if a is quadratic residue mod p*q
//-1 otherwise
// x[0], x[1], x[2], x[3] are the four solutions

int modular_sqrt_pq(mpz_t x[], mpz_t a, mpz_t p, mpz_t q)
{
mpz_t n, xp, xq, u, v;
mpz_inits(n, xp, xq, u, v, NULL);

if (!mpz_sgn(a))  // a is zero
{
mpz_set_ui(x[0], 0UL);
mpz_set_ui(x[1], 0UL);
mpz_set_ui(x[2], 0UL);
mpz_set_ui(x[3], 0UL);
return 0;
}

if ( 1 != modular_sqrt(xp, a, p) || 1 != modular_sqrt(xq, a, q) )  // a is quadratic non-residue mod p or q
{
return -1;
}

mpz_mul(n, p, q);