Use of the __GMP_CC and __GMP_CFLAGS macros

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Wed Sep 26 06:48:13 CEST 2012

On September 24, 2012 09:33:28 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> So, we have a distro maintainer who refuses to provide
> a sensible GMP build/distribution. Is that correct?

That's not how I would characterize it, no.

The Debian maintainer (me) builds GMP according to the upstream instructions.
This generated gmp.h file contains some information gathered at build time:

 /* Define CC and CFLAGS which were used to build this version of GMP */
#define __GMP_CC "x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc -std=gnu99"
#define __GMP_CFLAGS "-Wall -g  -O3"

Vincent doesn't find this information helpful, which is fine.  However, others
might find it useful, so I don't find his arguments a compelling reason to
deviate from other GMP installations.

I honestly can't see what the problem is.  I presume his build system will
honour __GMP_CC if present.  But if it can cope with the absense of __GMP_CC
then I can't see why it doesn't have a flag to ignore __GMP_CC when present.

Regards,
-Steve