Use of the __GMP_CC and __GMP_CFLAGS macros

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Fri Oct 5 06:28:00 CEST 2012

On October 4, 2012 06:20:57 AM Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-10-03 22:03:12 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > Dear Torbjorn: if you had followed the discussion, you would see
> > that Debian is not adding complication.  Debian is building the
> > packages exactly according to the gmp process.
>
> Not exactly. First, Debian does not use the default CC and CFLAGS
> chosen by GMP

Well, sure, but that's a documented part of the gmp build process;
see http://gmplib.org/manual/Build-Options.html

I would have thought that this freedom is precisely the reason folks would
want these recorded in gmp.h!  No?

> Copying gmp.h to another platform is not part of its process.

To be precise: it's not "another platform" in the sense of copying a sparc
gmp.h to an amd64 machine, but rather another instance of the same platform.
This, in my view, is not outside a normal process, either.

Regards,
-Steve