Speed of GMP relative to MPFR for quad precision calculations

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Sun Nov 18 10:01:02 CET 2012

  > PS: maybe this becomes off-topic for the gmp-discuss list...

  The thick binding, which is what I was using at the time of my original
  post, runs much slower and does a _lot_ more computation. I have switched
  to the thin binding and now believe that I am getting expected speeds.

  FWIW, this is an excerpt from the comments in one of the thick binding files:

  "This packages uses a new approach to dynamically adjust the precision of
  a MPFR_Float, everytime a value is computed (and not, as mpfr does, at
  the initialization of the mpfr_t variable). The goal is to try to have a
  precision that is of the same order of magnitude as the accuracy."

  I don't recall seeing a link to the Ada bindings on the MPFR web site. If
  would you like to do so, the project is here:

  http://code.google.com/p/adabindinggmpmpfr/

  Thanks again for making these numerical packages--it has helped me
  immensely in my work.

I don't know to what extent the mpfr developers read this gmp list.  But
even if they all do, mpfr is best discussed on the mpfr lists.  That's why
Paul Zimmermann suggested that your previous message was off-topic.