How to compile GMP from source?

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Mon May 28 21:51:35 CEST 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012, Markus Heiler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally wrote this email because I cant seem to find information
> how to continue. GMP is one of the programs that I fail to
> compile from source. Usually, C and C++ projects are no
> problem to compile, so something may be odd with my system
> or GMP requirement. (BTW issue reporting is so much nicer
> on something like github than having to use a mailing list ...)
>
> Here is information.
>
> First, my environment:

> GCC Version:      4.6.3
> Glibc Version:    ldd (GNU libc) 2.14.1
> CFLAGS in use:
> Binutils Version: GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.22
>
> To explain this, I tried both with CFLAGS and without them. The result
> is twice the same, so the
> CFLAGS can not have been the problem.

Actually, it looks like you set CFLAGS to an empty string instead of not
setting it at all. Your compiler produces 64 bit binaries by default, and
your CFLAGS prevents gmp from passing it the -m32 flag. And you seem to
have set ABI=32 (or your system is 32 bits), so it does not try 64 bits.

Well, that's just a guess, but it may contain enough hints to fix the
issue.

--
Marc Glisse