interesting error during make check for gmp-5.0.4 on SunOS5.8-i386

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Fri Mar 2 18:19:23 CET 2012

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Dennis Clarke wrote:

>> 386 is long dead, it makes no sense to compile for it. Solaris 8 (dead as
>> well) probably didn't even run on it. Try 686 at least.
>
> Well, from strictly a factual perspective, Solaris 8 is hardly dead.

End of support date: March 2012 (according to wikipedia, which could be
wrong). And if people haven't updated their OS in so long, I doubt they'll
be interested in upgrading most of their other software.

But whatever, the parenthesis on solaris 8 was just a remark (please let
us not discuss that here), you missed my main point: you problem is caused
by trying to compile for the 386 architecture (as opposed to the more
recent 486, 586, etc), which your customers are certainly not using.

--
Marc Glisse