GMP 5.0.5 build fails with tcc due to x86_64 asm (unknown register...)

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Wed Jun 20 11:41:59 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-20 11:13:19 +0200, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.net> writes:
>
>   Not to remove it, but to make it *optional*, i.e. to have a fallback
>   in C.
>
> Excellent proposal.  Implemented in GMP since the beginning...
>
>   Here it doesn't work with tcc. If you had a fallback in C, things
>   would be fine.
>
> Please see the manual for how to exercise the fallback.

But why isn't this detected by configure?

> (Silently disabling assembly for incapable compilers seem like a very
> poor idea.)

Well, perhaps. But I think that a configure test + an error message
(e.g. "Your compiler does not support the assembly code required by
GMP. You can configure with --host=none to disable assembly code.")
would be better than an error with "make".

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>