GMP 5.0.5 build fails with tcc due to x86_64 asm (unknown register...)

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Tue Jun 19 16:44:21 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-19 16:21:28 +0200, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> [This discussion has been moved from the bug reporting list]
>
> Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.net> writes:
>
>   I completely disagree: until now, tcc is fine for compiling C.
>   C, not assembler!
>
>   In GMP's "./configure --help" output:
>
>     CC          C compiler command
>
>   So, CC is a command to compile C code. For the assembler, it may be
>   another command.
>
> Please use a command (let's call it ccompilerassemblerlinker) that works
> the Unix way, i.e., can compile C, can assemble according to the syntax
> conventions specified for the system in question, and can link object
> files.

There's no such thing as "the Unix way". There is a standard: POSIX.
POSIX doesn't require its compiler to support asm code.

If GMP requires something else, it shouldn't lie by saying
"C compiler command".

> If mce or tcc cannot handle all of these roles, you will need to wrap it
> inside a script, or it will be incapable of compiling GMP and many other
> packages.

I think that GMP is a bit alone in this case. Most packages do not
have asm code.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>