Base (2 to 62) limitation for set_str initialization and output

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Wed Dec 12 09:45:31 CET 2012

Sergio Martin <eienburuu at gmail.com> writes:

  While it makes perfect sense viewed from that angle, I can't help but think
  of the space - memory or secondary storage - efficiency loss for big
  (really big) numbers. Large numbers stored in files, transmitted by
  network, or held in memory will occupy much less space if they are encoded
  in base 256. Using the maximum base 62 representation would occupy ~4-times
  more bytes in memory than the same number represented with a base 256 would.

I think you need to redo your maths about the space savings.  Using base
62 and then using a byte will take about 34% more memory than using a
plain binary encoding.  (If you don't believe me, I suggest that you try
a few examples, then muse about the maths.)

  I've seen the mpz_out_raw(..), and mpz_inp_raw(...) functions, and they
  seem to fit for that purpose. However, they both requiere a mpz integer to
  have been already initialized. Had that initialization been done with the
  base 2..62 limitation, the problem would still persist.

I cannot follow your reasoning here.

  Please let me know if this has been thought or discussed before; if it is
  implemented and I missed it from reading the manual; or if I'm wrong in any
  point, please let me know.

There are various functions that would allow you to read and write in
any 2^t base, for positive integral t.