Building GMP 5.0.2 & linking Nettle 2.4 to it (missing '__gmpz_getlimbn' symbol)

Sam Rawlins sam.rawlins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 16:32:01 CET 2011

Hi Morgan,

The Nettle manual (http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/nettle/nettle.html)
discusses GMP only very minimally. It would be nice if they clarified a
little bit what versions of GMP it requires, or what functions it uses...

I think the culprit is that the configure script is looking for
gmpz_getlimbn(). Near as I can tell, no such function exists in GMP 5.0.2
(but there is mpz_getlimbn,
http://gmplib.org/manual/Integer-Special-Functions.html#index-mpz_005fgetlimbn-476
).

You need contact the maintainers of Nettle and report that Nettle 2.4 does
not play well with "recent" (last 5+ years?) versions of GMP. I don't know
how far back you will have to go to find a version of GMP that unpatched
Nettle 2.4 can use... (I assume at one time there was a gmpz_getlimbn...).

Good luck.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Torbjorn Granlund <tg at gmplib.org> wrote:
> >
> > A failure in a package using GMP is not a GMP issue.
> >
> > Please ask for help in the package's help list.
>
> Right, I'm trying to confirm that I have correctly built & installed a
> working, full featured GMP 5.0.2 and that I'm not missing any
> requirements which would cause the failure.
>
> Morgan
> ---
> http://makkintosshu.com/
> http://seriesparts.com/