mpf_urandomb and precision

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Sun May 1 11:54:09 CEST 2011

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

  when I read the documentation of mpf_urandomb:

  "Generate a uniformly distributed random float in rop, such that 0 <=
  rop < 1, with nbits significant bits in the mantissa."

  I expected that if nbits was large, the function would increase the
  precision of rop so the nbits would fit. Instead, the code reduces
  nbits so that it fits prec. Should I append "or less if the precision
  of rop is smaller" to the documentation?

Please do (preferably to both the head and 5.0 repos).