IsPerfectPower

Will Galway galway at math.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 16 13:02:16 CET 2011

I've just had a look at Cohen's A COURSE IN COMPUTATIONAL NUMBER THEORY,
Vol 1, the 1993 edition -- where he presents an Algorithm 1.7.4 (there
is no Algorithm 1.7.5).  Given a number $n$, Algorithm 1.7.4 determines
whether $n$ has the form $p^k-1$, where $p$ is prime -- it does not
apply to the case where $p$ is composite.  Is this the Algorithm we're
discussing, or is there an Algorithm 1.7.5 in a later edition?

-- Regards, Will