Problem with make install

John Harper John.Harper at msor.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Mar 3 02:50:07 CET 2011

I am not a systems programmer, merely someone who hopes to use the latest
version of gfortran. But it seems I have to install GMP first.
I managed to download it and ./configure and make and make check OK, using
directory /home/harperj1/gmp-4.3.2 on an i686-redhat-linux-gnu system.
The instructions then said to install (under `/usr/local' by default)
with make install. As I don't have root access I tried what I thought
the instructions then say, using --prefix, but I got the result below:

rimu[~/gmp-4.3.2]$ make install --prefix=/home/harperj1/gmp-4.3.2
make: unrecognized option `--prefix=/home/harperj1/gmp-4.3.2'
Usage: make [options] [target] ...

[List of options followed. It included neither install nor --prefix= ]

What am I supposed to do?

-- John Harper, School of Mathematics Statistics and Operations Research
Victoria University, PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
e-mail john.harper at vuw.ac.nz phone (+64)(4)463 5276 fax (+64)(4)463 5045