GCC and GMP 5.0.1

Prof. Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Sun Feb 27 09:39:39 CET 2011

On 02/27/2011 08:28 AM, bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it wrote:

> On Sat, February 26, 2011 11:28 pm, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
>>
>> The likelihood that GCC's constant folding should strike a GMP bug is
>> extremely slim.
>
> GCC uses GMP also for loop optimization, through PPL.

Let me add that we test PPL very carefully on an extensive testsuite,
using both GMP 4.3* and GMP 5.0*, on a variety of platforms.
We never found a problem that could be attributed to GMP.
Moreover, PPL exercises a tiny fraction of the functionality
provided by GMP.

Personally, I believe it is time for distributions to switch to
GMP 5.
Cheers,

    Roberto

--