inf & nan for mpq

Nic Schraudolph nic at schraudolph.org
Wed Nov 17 06:24:22 CET 2010

Hello,

I've now cleaned up the implementation of inf & nan handling for mpq that I first posted back in May; attached is the patch against gmp-5.0.1. I ask that this be folded into the next gmp release. (If so, I'd be happy to write the necessary patches to the mpq documentation.)

The implementation is now complete (including the C++ wrapper) and mirrors the behavior of IEEE floating-point inf and nan. It uses the internal representations -1/0, 0/0, and 1/0, and thus does not require mpz to handle inf or nan. In my benchmarks it does not lead to any noticeable slowdown even when (ab)used on short numbers.

The present (vanilla gmp-5.0.1) treatment of zero mpq denominators is highly inconsistent: in some places they raise a DIVIDE_BY_ZERO exception, but in others they're silently ignored (often resulting in incorrect behavior), and in many places they lead to memory access errors that produce obscure segfaults and bus errors. Zero denominators do routinely arise in many rational computations; correct, predictable and documented behavior on these is thus highly desirable. My patch achieves this by consistently treating zero denominators as +/-inf or nan, depending on the sign of the numerator.

I append an updated response to the issues Marc raised in regard to the patch I posted back in May. The only open issue remaining is the behavior of the 3-valued sgn and cmp functions for nan arguments.

Best regards,

- nic