gmp package installation

Nastou Panagiotis pnastou at aegean.gr
Thu Nov 11 18:56:23 CET 2010

Hello,

Recently, I built an rpm package for gmp 5.0.1 for CentOS 5.2 (on an HP Proliant Server).
During initial CentOS 5.2 installation, the gmp and gmp-devel version 4.1.4 packages were installed.

I tried to update the gmp by command

rpm -Uvh gmp-5.0.1-1.x86_64.rpm

but the update failed because the libgmp.so.3, libgmpxx.so.3 and the libmp.so.3 are needed from
gcc-gfortran, php, php-cli, guile and gmp-devel packages.
Which is the dependency between those packages and gmp?
Could I forced update without destroying the operation of the above packages?

Moreover, I read that it is good idea to compile recent versions of gmp using gcc versions greater than 4.3.

If gcc, gcc-gfortran and gcc-c++ are updated, and recompile gmp 5.0.1 could I forced the gmp update?
The other packages (php, php-cli and guile) will still operate without problems?

Regards,

Panagiotis Nastou,
Dpt of Mathematics
University of Aegean